A great smile is one of the easiest ways to boost your confidence, and losing yours can feel like a huge blow. That’s why excellent dentistry is so important. Your teeth can stain for a whole range of reasons, from food and drink to medication. Your smile is one of the first things people see when they meet you, and having a perfect smile is essential if you want to make terrific first impressions. Whatever the reason you’re suffering from dental stains, cosmetic dentistry is the best way to find your smile and give your confidence a lift.
Types of Dental Stains
Dental stains come in many forms, whether surface stains, changes to the tooth material, or a combination of both factors. The three main categories are:
- Extrinsic teeth stains: Extrinsic teeth stains are the build-up of film on the teeth consisting of stain particles, and pigmented residue builds a layer of protein covering the tooth enamel. This type of stain can usually be cleared up with teeth whitening toothpaste and regular cleanings.
- Intrinsic teeth stains: Intrinsic teeth stains are the staining particles and residue that have worked their way beneath the enamel. This type of staining can sometimes be caused by excessive fluoride use in children and will require professional teeth whitening.
- Age-related discoloration: As we age, the tooth enamel thins, and you begin to see the yellow-colored core dentin. When combined with stains resulting from food, drink, and medication, your teeth will naturally lose their whiteness over time.
Causes of Dental Stains and Tooth Discoloration
The food and drink you consume, the medication you take, and how diligent you are with your oral hygiene all impact how white your teeth are. Not all cases of dental stains can be prevented. Discoloration can happen as a result of things outside of your control, like age or illness. In those cases, cosmetic dentistry can be a great way to restore your smile to its sparkling self.
Discoloration can be caused by:
- Trauma or disease: Anything that can affect enamel development in children can cause tooth discoloration, as can trauma and disease in adults.
- Food and drink: Tea, coffee, colas, red wine, and even the occasional fruit or vegetable may contribute to the discoloration of your teeth.
- Tobacco: Most people clearly understand that chewing and smoking tobacco can have a devastating effect on your teeth, leaving brown stains and discoloration long after you’ve quit the habit. However, quitting smoking today will have an immediate positive impact on your oral hygiene, as well as your overall physical health.
- Medication: Some types of asthma medication, antibiotics, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure treatments can leave teeth stained afterward. Chemo and radiotherapy both discolor teeth, and cosmetic dentistry can feel necessary for those in recovery.
There are home remedies that can be used on dental stains. However, for the best results, you should seek professional treatment to ensure you get the best results.
Why Choose Lovett Dental Pasadena?
Lovett Dental Pasadena is one of the leading cosmetic dentists in Texas, with services including teeth cleaning, veneers, and implants to ensure your smile is as bright as it can be. With some of the state’s leading dental professionals, Lovett Dental Pasadena knows how important your smile can be, and they have the skills to help you make the most of what you’ve got.
The services that are offered at Lovett Dental Pasadena include:
- Teeth cleaning
- Teeth whitening
- Texas dental bonding services
- Dental Veneers
- Dental implants
- Orthodontic dental braces
- Oral surgery
- Sedation dentistry
Contact Lovett Dental Pasadena Today to Improve Your Dental Stains
If you’re suffering from dental stains and you want a whiter smile, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Contact the knowledgeable and friendly staff at Lovett Dental Pasadena by completing a convenient form online or calling at 281-998-8800.